Nate and Addison's Epic Baptist Draw Adventure
When Michelle asked what I wanted to Father's Day, I told her I wanted to go do a canyon. I also decided it was time to introduce Addison to canyoneering, and Baptist Draw, the canyon I did last year with Bri, Mason, Ryan, and Kaylyn would the perfect - a series of three rappels, each getting a little longer; some problem-solving but nothing outrageous; a gorgeous slot that will leave him wanting more. Michelle was supportive of both, and the only remaining problem was how to get to the trailhead since it's down a long dirt road in the Swell. I recruited a father-son duo in our neighborhood, since we're friends and they have a pickup, I borrowed a couple extra harnesses from our local Scout troop, and it was on.
We got up early Saturday, June 18, and drove the four hours down to the trail, and then spent most of the day in the canyon. It was bone-dry this time, which made for a hot hike out, but it went nearly flawlessly. Nearly, because on the first rappel, Kade accidentally flipped upside-down. I watched his eyes get really big as he went head over heels and then I just sat there kind of stupefied. But he was none the worse for wear, and we got him rightside-up in no time.
Everybody rocked the rappels. The boys got pretty scared on the final 90-foot drop, but they both got down the rope in really good time. I was proud, and I think Addison was digging the physical challenge, the thrill of rappelling, the beauty of the canyon, and just being outside in the middle of nowhere. We saw two other hikers at one point early on, but other than that, not a sign of humanity all day.
Starting to slot up
The first rappel, perfect for training on
Second rappel, into the unknown
Final rappel, about 90 feet
No matter how many slots canyons I visit, I just never get over the sense of awe
Found an amphibious friend, but no water in sight
And a reptilian friend
Looking down into the canyon on the hike back. Such cool hairpin turns.
Back to the car
We were out of the canyon by about 4:00, stopped at Wendy's in Green River for dinner, and made it home by 9:00. A perfect day, hopefully with many more like it to come!
























Comments