Daddy-Daughter Dance 2019

Nate here. You need to know that back in the day, I was not into dancing. At high school and church dances, I was completely mortified at the thought of grooving out to the fast songs, so I sat or stood around until the slow songs came along and I could wipe my sweaty palms on my trousers and ask some girl to dance. In other words, I was lame.

At BYU I tried to break out of this. I took a tap dancing class (yes, this is a fact), and after Michelle and I got married, we took a social dance class. Both classes pulled my GPA down. In social dance, I believe Michelle got an A and I got a B.

It's taken being a dad to help me cut loose. These days, I like nothing better than a dance party in the basement or an impromptu dance party during the closing credits of the Friday night movie, jamming out to "Duh-Dut and Dance" (that's our censored version of "Shut Up and Dance") or the Coco soundtrack. You should really listen to "Jálale" - it's our current jam.

Note that I did not say I've improved as a dancer. I'm terrible. This is actual footage of me dancing:
 Image result for charlie brown christmas dance gif

Except not as rhythmical. But I don't care nearly as much as I used to.

All that is a long-winded introduction to last Friday, when I got to take my two beautiful elementary-aged girls to the Daddy-Daughter Dance at the school. I don't know how we've missed this over the years, but they both got REALLY excited about this one, and that got me excited too.

We got all gussied up, took pics, and we were off.




We got there and the girls got to pick out a carnation for corsages. We also got vouchers for cookies and juice. The gym was bumping with a live DJ and a little laser show, and we got right in there and tripped the light fantastic! We danced the fast ones and the slow ones, we met some Disney princesses, and at the end, the girls joined a really long conga line. Leah was rating the dance a 10 out of 10 right out of the gate, but Bryn wasn't so sure - her first rating was a 6. She thought the music could have been better and she was a little self-conscious. By the end, though, she had caught the vision, boogied with the best of them, and scored the night at a perfect 10! Leah, meanwhile, ended up at something like a 20.


(Bryn didn't really want to wait in the long line to meet the princesses, but she was a good sport because she knew how excited Leah was.)







Can't wait for next year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adventures in Poultry

Tide Pools and Big Trees Days 1-3

Michelle's Side of the Family Comes to Town