Fall Break

A few weeks ago marked our household's first celebrated fall break EVER. I've gotta say I was a little nervous as it approached, because I've gotten a little out of practice at having all three kids around. But it came, and we pretty much rocked it. Especially on day 1. We packed up apples and chips and water and ran to get a corn dog, which is the kids' favorite. Then we took our picnic to the duck pond.

Item of business number one was to feed the ducks, who were almost terrifyingly friendly. And loud. But they liked our bread. They even ate out of my hand a few times! From the get-go, Bryn made it her personal mission to catch, or at least touch a duck. She never was successful, but it was loads of fun watching her try.



The kids played on the playground while I set up our blanket and food. Several ducks made themselves comfortable so they could beg with their eyes as we ate our lunch. The only thing more friendly than the ducks were the bees, especially once we bit into our apples.

After lunch we spent some time by the water. We watched (and tried to catch) the ducks, Addison named his favorite ducks, "Turkey Red-head Rooster," and "Turkey Red-head." They looked sort of like turkeys, with red brain-like substance all over their heads. But he loved them and followed them everywhere.


 Addison and I had a magical moment when I taught him how to skip rocks. He got three skips on his second try! And Leah was so happy the whole time. She joined right in with the rocks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adventures in Poultry

Tide Pools and Big Trees Days 1-3

Michelle's Side of the Family Comes to Town